Looking back at 2012 and ahead at 2013…
Here’s how I did on my 2012 goals:
* Finish one novel revision – done
* Outline and draft another book – nearly done with the draft
* Write 4+ short stories – wrote 5
* Maybe do another novel for nanowrimo – nope
So, pretty good. The pause to rework the book I’m writing will make it a much stronger first draft, which means I’ll be tearing my hair out a lot less this coming year.
Goals for 2013:
1. Write and submit at least 4 new short stories
2. Revise and submit one novel
3. Finish the first draft of last year’s book (and maybe do the second draft, too)
4. Write first draft of a new book
5. Read books, not blogs – As much as I like reading blog posts, I’ve realized I like books a lot better. They’re a lot more complete and coherent, which makes them more valuable to me, and they don’t trigger either the what-am-I-missing-must-check-google-reader or the just-one-more-post-before-bed feeling. (I’m specifically talking about blogs about writing, or science or business or whatever. Not people’s personal blogs, which would be kinda hard to replace.)
As always, I reserve the right to change my mind if something comes up.